Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Immerse Thyself

I used to think of retreats as simply for religious folks. Vacations are for winding down, getting away from work and being with family or friends. So what if I simply want to put on my most comfortable clothes and stay in my own house and do what I want, when I want, at the pace I want, eat when I want and answer to no one? Well, besides being called selfish, I would actually struggle with this concept.

I have a book idea (no really, I know...), but almost any time I sit down at the computer, I wander through the internet, answer phone calls, emails and write the pieces I am paid to produce. This is not a complaint or rant, just the details of what happens when I sit in front of the monitor.

This past winter I promised myself I would spend more time working during snow days. Guess how many snow days we had in the North East this year? Exactly.

Why is it what I complain and moan about that I want to do the most, yet I spend a good portion of time avoiding, complaining, procrastinating???? Or coming up with the "if" plans - "If I have a snow day," or "If only I had a good chunk of time to sit undisturbed..." These if's will never happen. So, on a Tuesday, I will postpone just a bit longer, after all I have to get ready for Easter next Sunday (not really), but soon I will be typing my fingerpads off from morning to midnight. I will lock myself away, turn off the cell phone, maybe disconnect the internet somehow and only access my Word program - maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment