Thursday, April 5, 2012

Special Treats

Part of what makes family time and holidays a little extra memorable are the special treats - we drive to those out of the way places and pick up the "good" cakes, pies, and kielbasi. This year we will be enjoying "Deadly" carrot cake and Key Lime pie from Jones Farm in Cornwall. I wrote about this lovely 5th generation business in Hudson Valley Parent magazine last year and as part of the research I had just a carrot cake cupcake and was so excited I couldn't wait to get home to eat it but snacked in the car!

http://www.hvparent.com/articlepost.aspx?id=1743&c=0&t=ARTICLE

I also ventured out during my lunch today and purchased the good kielbasi at:

http://janeksfinefoods.com/history.htm - the Mahwah location.

Our Easter bread is a modified recipe handed down from my Great Grandmother (Nana) who I was lucky to have in my life until I was 20 years old. Though some may say things like "Babka" or "raisin bread" - for her the only name was, "Easter Bread." Some years I am able to participate in the assembly line style of prepping and baking along side my mother and sister though sometimes I have not been able to join in due to work conflicts. I will always remember the story of my sister's first time punching the dough down, literally.

And the dying of the eggs, the creative process, the children (once mine, now my nephews), writing names or meaningful designs to personalize one for each family member or guest.

Group photos. Learning that if special guests are included, family photos should be taken with and without them as they sometimes do not stay a part of our lives.

The traditions also include a children's hunt for filled plastic eggs, but the moments we all wait for with a bit of teasing and anticipation are the kickball game and if weather permits, kite flying. A fabulous event!

No comments:

Post a Comment