Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Fabulous Spring Cleaning in February

Last weekend we switched the dining room and living room. Lots of cleaning, sorting, purging, moving and rearranging.

Today only two more areas of the house were tackled - a corner armoire and the game closet. The armoire once held the television in the family room and over the years has been sort of a, I-don't-know-what-to-d0-with-this dumping ground for books and papers. I've saved every book I have ever reviewed simply because my name is in print. I have saved almost every book I have ever read because I enjoyed it. The game closet is in the kitchen and was originally designed to house the hot water maker but since we have a basement we dropped the appliance to the lowest level and installed shelves in the space and named it the game closet. Approximately 8' of board games, puzzles, coloring books, paints, VHS movies, albums and model car kits have been stored in this area for the last 15 years or so. The time had come, the time was now, clean out those areas now, now, now.

A few bags of plain old garbage, 3 copier paper boxes of yard sale items and a pile of items for my nephews. I am wiped out for the day but am getting used to this thinning out and next weekend look forward to purging the island in the kitchen, the break front in the foyer and someday the attic and basement.

The emotion was expressed by my husband. "I feel like we are getting rid of our children's childhood." Don't worry, we kept the really good stuff like the comic book our younger son created in the pages of a sketch pad and the matchbox trucks our older son had tucked away. As a fabulous bonus we have the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment