Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Personal and Fabulous Luxury

Who is to define what makes another person happy? Who can tell you how to reach that fabulous place where you are completely immersed in an activity or moment of leisure you love without reason? Who can decide when, where and how? Only you. Or in this case, only me.


A weekend may be loved when it is jam packed, full and brimming with action, busting at the seams, triple booked and no time to be bored. A day off may be the best when you are molded into the couch, the cushions shaped to your body perfectly and all that remains are empty containers from the mindless snacks consumed during a mindless television marathon series.


Balance may be the key. With 2 days, one filled with have to-do's and one with want-to-do's. 24 hours dedicated to a beloved hobby (well, minus time for sleeping and eating) may be utopia. Toss in a bit of laundry, housecleaning, errands, grocery shopping....oh, wait, is that not part of the agenda? I didn't think so.


And so for me, this past weekend held quite a personal luxury. I read a book. Well, honestly, I finished one that I had been nursing along since Christmas and started a new book. In between, a bit of working out, all the have-to-do's I could stand and a bit of additional down time to watch Tower Heist. But it was the reading, the sitting still with a hard cover book in my lap, taking the time to actually digest each word, put myself in the setting, and be completely submerged that was a fabulous luxury. Next weekend, likely back to the hustle and bustle, social activities, things that have to be tended to and I will look back on these moments with a bit of a smile, until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment