Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Well, at least there's that...

You know how sometimes we have a bad moment, then start to make the mistake of sharing it with someone who tries to cheer you up by saying, "Well, at least...." and pointing out the infinite number of possible things that could be worse in life? Does that technique really work with anyone? Let's say for example a friend tells you they had a flat tire in the rain. Do you respond with, "well, at least you have a car?" Don't.

A two minute pity party is in order. Just two minutes to acknowledge that it really stinks to not only have a flat tire, but to have it in the rain. This also isn't the time to share, "I once had a flat tire in the rain and then was hit by a tractor trailer." Being one up doesn't make it better either. Or, "I've never had a flat tire. Guess I'm just lucky."

Yuck.

Well, my two minutes are up so I'm going to stand up, dust my self off and get right back in there. Of course, no flat tires were experienced to tell this story, it was fabulously hypothetical, but not every moment of today was fabulous. Thankfully, more moments are ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment