Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Side of Fries

Most children go through phases; not eating greens, loving a song, movie or book and wanting it repeated until adult ears bleed, and favorite foods. For me, I had passions for Strawberry Quik, white rice with butter, little candy silver decorations on other candy, colorful candy tabs on paper, Quisp cereal and french fries. The Strawberry Quick made me break out in hives, the white rice with butter - no nutritional value but I loved it, odd choices in candy but well loved over chocolate, the Quisp cereal did indeed stay crispy and sweet (I also remember loving the sugary monster cereals Boo Berry especially) and ah, french fries... A moment of silence for french fries.

So many memories with fries, in a basket at a diner with my grandmother, when one of my first friends came over to play and for dinner and asked, "What are they?" about the platter of crispy potato goodness my mother served thinking all children loved them. Fries made anything better and if offered with a hot school lunch were often all I really needed. From the double arches, well, I simply was not going to share, with anyone. My husband thought it was a joke, but no, really, get your own.

Hand cut, shoe string, seasoned, sweet potato, waffle fries, a variety for each day of the week without a moment of boredom. With steak, burgers, pork, chicken, seafood and even breakfast in a pinch.

The sweets can be left behind, a sugary memory, a passing phase, but the world's most fabulous food is indeed the french fry.

No comments:

Post a Comment