Thursday, January 19, 2012

Car Concerts

My first car, the Rustang, was a wonderful (broke down constantly), beautiful (was on fire more than once), pre-owned (with about a bazillion miles), vehicle of freedom and with it began the joy of car concerts. While I may remember more vividly driving to school with my sister when the hood flew up, or the stick that had to be placed just so to hold the hatch up, the fact that I had to bundle up with a blanket during the winter, I could listen to the music I wanted and sing until I thought the windows would shatter.

Over time the cars improved. I have even had the honor of being a new car owner twice! This time around I think my favorite feature is the heated seats, but I must confess, the 5 CD changer and boomability of the stereo are not far behind. I don't think anyone should ever give up their right to blasting something to the level* that your mother (or children) complain, "Turn that down!" every now and then. *For the safety and health of your ears of course this behavior is not recommended.

It's funny how an entire outlook can change when a song you love (and know most of the words to like of course, Born to Run) comes on during an especially dreary drive. And, while most of us may agree or confess under duress to participating in giving a car concert now and then, we are still mostly shy about the idea of other drivers catching us in the act. I'm almost secure enough to just belt it out, after all it's winter, the windows are up and they can't hear me. Fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment