Friday, January 20, 2012

Tattoos, Piercings & Hair Colors

I never really thought when I first held each of my sons that some day one would want a mullet, then later wear short hair with the top bleached out (which I did for him). Years later his brother had blue hair (which I helped with) and a pierced ear (for his 10th birthday in November and he let the hole close just months later) and they would both someday have tattoos.

We've had to discuss droopy drawers, the fact that a hoody is simply not a coat and counsel one that a plain white t-shirt, while classic, is not suitable as a finished look for all occasions. While talking about dressing up, one can identify a range of styles from jeans to khakis to a suit, but the other is 90% jeans, 5% button down shirt with jeans and suits for weddings/funerals only.

With a four year age gap they have spent a substantial portion of their lives in different phases from each other. Tonight, one sits by the other's side at a tattoo studio. It is their fabulous moment in time.

They have evolved with their own sense of style, at their own pace and while I try to balance the fine line of withholding judgment yet maintaining maternal, I feel comfortable and confident standing at their side and introducing them as my sons.

No comments:

Post a Comment