Monday, January 23, 2012

Thoughts on Camping


Lately, through the power of Internet surfing and rampant Facebook posts I have come across a number of "retro humor" sights and photos with captions like the one above. I have to say, the first time I went camping I was a Scout and slept in a wooden lean-to. I was excited, but have to say I hated it. I was sore and tired the next day, it felt like everything was damp and smelly. It just was not my thing.


At about 13 or 14 years old I tried again. I went camping with my best friend and her family to Kennebunk Port, Maine. The beach, the sand, it looked so much better than my first experience. But, then we slept on the hard ground in a very traditional green tent and the first morning I was cooked eggs in a cast iron skillet over a roaring camp fire. I threw up. Not a great memory.


A bazillion years later we bought a camper. It was originally intended for my husband and older son to take when our son had long distance quad races. We went as a family to a race or two. We went to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware for a week. Seemed like this type of camping was growing on me. Camping with a kitchen. Camping with our own shower. Camping with electricity, a television, a bed, this is better.


Last year we went to Lake Placid for a weekend and stayed in a real campground. Wow, we can plug in and not have to listen to the generator all night as a bonus. A pool, games, trails, waterfalls, oh my. A whole new world. Just remember now, when I say I'm camping, for me it is a bit more fabulous when I can flip a switch and have heat or air conditioning as needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment