Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Does she or doesn't she...

My younger son (age 19) currently works in my former workplace with a number of my friends and previous co-workers. For him it offers a sense of comfort and familiarity and for me, well, it is a double edged sword.

Today he came home and shared, "Do you know someone you used to work with asked me today if you ever get mad?" My other son recalled when he was asked the same thing by one of his teacher assistants who also happened to be a relative.

I smiled.

He laughed.

We all laughed.

"You have to have a work persona," I laughed.

We all have days when we would love nothing more than to a have a full blown, melt down tantrum but really, is that how you want to be remembered? I've had my moments on the job, just like anyone else and no one can get through with Spock-like behavior, but I think it's nice to not be thought of as the crank pot, lunatic or some other negative adjective. Especially when dealing with the public, as a manager, I was pushed to the limits by people (one who felt it would be best to express her ire to me by giving me not one, but 2 firmly erect middle fingers) but would anger have been the answer?

At home, we tend to just let it all out, right? So do I or don't I? Well, I'm entitled to a little mystery as a part of being fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment