Sunday, January 15, 2012

"I never allowed my fear to limit me..."

said 50 Cent in his Behind the Music special on VH1.

Am I fan? Yes, mostly. I feel he is far more talented musically than Kanye, he is quite frank and seemingly honest. An unlikely role model? Definitely. Limited appropriate lyrics? Certainly. But behind the scenes he appears to have far less to hide and makes no excuses for some of his past behaviors and choices including selling drugs and associated crimes. We as a society decide which crimes we will forgive among celebrities including dog fighters, child abusers (accused and proven), and suspected murderers. Many popular names are attached to scandals, some forgiven, some banished from favor. This is not about digging up and rehashing the past, it is about finding the courage, strength and determination to push forward. A message most of us should hear more often.

When was the last time you 100% believed in yourself and your choices?

When did you last wake up and say, "Today, I am going to do it. I will reach my goal," and make it happen?

When did you take responsibility for your actions? When did you not blame the other guy, the circumstances, the conditions, the market, or whatever other obstacle seemed to be in the way?

Some of the messages I heard:

1. Figure out what it is you want and go after it. This seems to be a common mantra for those at the top of whatever their games is from actors to athletes.

2. Don't let anyone tell you - you can't. If you believe you can, you must keep going. "Hate it or love it the underdogs on top..." (Ok, loose interpretation)

3. Keep doing it. Get help if you need it, but make sure the help you receive is from the best.

My take away - an extra helping of courage, confidence and determination can't hurt. Being assertive, reaching goals and not letting fear stop me, sounds fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment