Saturday, January 7, 2012

Straight vs. Gay Food?

Every Wednesday I visit one of the least likely thought of people in my building, our company librarian, and take the New York Times Dining Section home to read. I may not read it until a leisurely Saturday (such as this morning) or Sunday. I love it. I love the NYTimes just because and though I can read the print version for free, I find it extremely difficult to give up curling in the corner of the couch and turning the giant pages then refolding into reader friendly quarters.

I read of ingredients I will likely never eat (some by choice, others due to unavailability or location), restaurant reviews, gadget reviews and introductions, new chefs, redesigns and this week ideas to turn holiday leftovers into meatballs. Yes, ham balls. Hmmmm. Don't think I could quite pull that off with this traditional family and a husband who is generally squeamish with change. (He also thinks all dishes should have a name so my latest clean-out-the-refrigerator-soup was jokingly referred to as "Wet Soup" - but this could be a blog of it's own...)

In this week's Dining Section, Simon Doonan, who some may recognize from his snarky quips in various VH1 shows or as the "creative ambassador at large for Barney's New York," has written a book and it seems I somehow fit the target demographic. "Gay Men Don't Get Fat." I know, the last you heard, I am not a gay man and while some days a bit bloated (and ok, I put on a few pounds since high school) am not fat, but I love the thought process behind the book.

If boats or cars or other inanimate objects can be feminine and in other languages nouns are masculine or feminine, how far of a leap is to think of food as straight or gay? This is not to bash either side, simply make one aware of the differences and to hear Simon explain it (which is really a better idea then my interpretation) it is witty, entertaining and laughably stereotypically. So, far the sheer light read and a bit of fun, I will likely buy the book and enjoy it as a fabulous moment while curled up, knees to chest, in the corner of the couch with a cup of tea nearby.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/04/straight-and-gay-talk-from-simon-doonan

No comments:

Post a Comment