Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sneaky

The best way for my husband and I to tackle the "serious" talks is to just sneak them in out of the blue. After 25 years, we've realized it's better to just jump in and with him recently reaching retirement eligibility at work, we are kind of forced to discuss the future. We were coasting along, raising our sons and then suddenly, they are both in college and we are faced with the idea of possibly moving or investing in a second home...

Here's where the challenge begins. He's thinking of a bizillion or so acres in a desolate area for hunting with a barely livable cabin that we (he really just means him and maybe his brother, nephews or a few friends) could visit while we sell our current home and buy a more retirement friendly house someplace else (yet to be determined). I don't really see a lot of me in that plan.

I see myself lounging on a deck or a three season sunroom, facing a lake or the beach, writing. I'd like to be close enough to some sort of entertainment, decent restaurants and a good hospital. Not too much of a stretch for requirements. I really don't even mention the temperature. I dropped this bomb today while we were on our ritual Sunday morning ride to bring the recyclables and garbage to the dump - romantic, I know.

So now, we've each presented our case. Neither of us is in any hurry as we have to continue working the way we are for now, but we have shown our hands. He will scour the Internet, watching for a way to find huntable land with a large pond he can describe as a small lake and I will slip in the part about the *must be able to drive back to New York clause some other time. Sneaky or fabulous?

No comments:

Post a Comment