Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Free to Blog

Should the Internet be an open book? If I post something for you, for free, I am providing it for your entertainment or education or to kill time, but I am providing it to you. I am the author and owner and would be upset if I had to lay out millions of dollars to create this little blip for you only to have it pirated by others and given away. Ok, I can live with that theory. Pirating = bad. Napster, bootleg movies, and all other entertainment shoplifting should not be supported.

I do know that when I was someplace between childhood and teenage (tween if you will) I used to put my Panasonic cassette recorder next to the radio so when I heard my favorite song I could try to catch most of it on a blank tape. I never sold the music to anyone, but I'm pretty sure I listened to it with friends. I know I went on to own a VCR many years later and recorded shows and movies, some I loaned to others who did not subscribe to cable, so they could watch them as well. Ok, I will even admit to perhaps a bootleg movie or two having appeared in my home. The man at the flea market was even arrested. Will this kind of behavior stop if the Internet is censored? I don't think so.

I only know a portion about SOPA and PIPA. Guess where I found my information?? The Internet. I wonder if Dee Snider or Metallica will show up in court? For or against? I think it is fabulous that I can sit here and blog about it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment