Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Knitting

A few co-workers knit and one is working on an absolutely beautiful hat with some type of butterfly stitch design. To me, it is quite miraculous what can be produced with some yarn and two sticks, I mean needles. Ever try knitting? I have and it made my grandmother sigh. I'm far too tense and grip the yarn too tightly and the stitches become bunched up and strangled looking. Two co-workers in particular create unique scarves and admire each other's work.

Recently, my younger nephew has also taken up knitting and asked for a weaving loom as well for Christmas. To balance his activities, he also likes to split wood with an axe and go roller skating. He will be a very well rounded individual.

I admire the discipline needed to simply sit still with just a ball of yarn, tools and a plan to produce a customizable and wearable piece of art. I prefer to create art by stringing words together, hooks and phrases or combining ingredients into meals and capture images with a camera. It is still the process, the joy and fabulous moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment