Monday, January 30, 2012

A Moment at the Table

After the work day, after preparing the food, setting the table and calling every one to dinner, it happens. The family of four are all present and accounted for, present and in the moment, present in body and mind. The meal is a physical requirement, the action of sitting together, side by side around the kitchen table sharing thoughts and recanting the day's activities in one of the fabulous moments I look forward to often. I am aware, intensely aware, that these moments are finite. I sometimes think this heightened level of consciousness will somehow influence my ability to hold on to each second, each tick of the clock, every word and nuance. Yet they slip through and around me like emotional mist. I know it has happened and now is over, the same way I know I must have experienced Christmas at age six, but could no more clearly recall the activity around me. I am left knowing it was simply fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment