Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Words, Fabulous Words

We are really quite lucky to have such an assortment of words at our disposal to express our every thought and feeling. While some may resort to a few choice favorites that used to be used only for extreme occasions, it can be refreshing to hear others creatively express themselves.

For example, a coworker appeared a bit overwhelmed, buried in paperwork, fenced in by deadlines and barely able to come up for air. I may not be quoting her correctly, but a reference was made to either having mental congestion or needing a mental decongestant... fairly graphic without a trace of foul language or slang terms. Loved it. Made me laugh, I clearly understood her feelings and am looking forward to more.

This same woman has also said things like, "I am a firm believer in and strong proponent of, better living through chemistry," regarding those who need mood/mental health stabilizing medication.

Later that same day, a different coworker who is battling a cold the day before a major presentation was lamenting over her cold symptoms. "I can't believe my nose is crusty the day before I have to speak in front of everyone. It feels like my face will explode." Overhearing her another commented, "She should be a novelist. So graphic." (*Disclaimer: quotes are more paraphrased and may not be 100% accurate - I do what I can to retain details.)

I am enjoying the more creative verbalization and find I truly pay better attention to what is being said when I don't have to skip over all of the unnecessary expletives. Doesn't mean anyone should consider censorship of any kind, merely that I am currently a fan of different forms of expression. Fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment